Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Hunting for Phonemes

A large focus within my Second Grade reading groups is recognizing specific phonemes within words. For one of my prize days in December, I decided to challenge the students to a word hunt. At this point in the year, my students had mastered the following phonemes: 
-ch, -wh, -th, -sh, -ea, -ee, -ay, -oo, -a, -e, -i, -o, -u 

I provided my students with a number of Beginning Reader Dr. Suess books and challenged them to fill up the poster below with words that contain the listed phonemes. Some of the books were:

 

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish 
Go Dog Go
 Daisy-Head Mayzie
 The Cat in the Hat
 Horton Hears a Who  




I choose these books because I didn't want the word hunt to be frustrating for them and I wanted them to feel successful at the end of the lesson.  

In the end, they were very successful! I was very proud of their completed project as were my students.  


My students completed Phonemes Poster





No comments:

Post a Comment